Thursday, January 19, 2012

"January is the Monday of the Months"

   First off my name is Danielle although I doubt anyone is reading this who does not know my name. I plan to use this for writing about some of the ideas that I hear in class or read about in books, but other times I am merely going to complain about my day and your going to have to learn to like it. 
     
    So today was the third day going back to school and I am already really stressed out. Most of my stress doesn't yet come from class, but from money. School cost a lot of money and now so does my car. January is defiantly my Monday. I am taxed on money because of Christmas (even though I barely bought anyone gifts) and then tuition, books, A LOT of various things to pay for that have to do with my credential (I'm studying to be an Elementary Teacher). I also have a speeding  ticket to pay for because I was road hypnotized and went too fast and a busted tire to pay for as well from skidding in the rain. I swear I am a good driver these are just mishaps! An I have two weeks to finish turning in my credential application. 0.o thus January is officially my least favorite month. So if you are one of those people unfortunate enough to run into me, expect me to complain about these things and look a little gloomy until the end of this month. 

    Anyway onward away from depressing things. I am in three classes this semester, I would like to take more but my college has a unit cap of 18 and strangely enough my three classes make up 18 units. I have Astronomy 101, Child Development, and Hutchins: Government and Society.
   Astronomy 101 seems like it's going to be a fairly easy class ths far, I like science and already know the basics of Astronomy from other classes. I also have a lot of friendly faces in this class which means I will not have to awkwardly sit by a bunch of strangers every other day. The professor is lively and makes lots of jokes to keep us awake, with plenty of visuals which is great for me. 
    Child Development looks to be interesting. I think the teacher is fairly entertaining, which is good because this is a late afternoon/evening class and that is the worse time for me. Especially because our room is ill-equipped and he has no way to put up visuals unless he wants to write on a small chalkboard all day. We spent the first class talking about why we would need a class on childhood if childhood is something everybody has and has had since the beginning of human life. His answer mostly came down to because so many people actually don't understand children and more abuse cases or trauma happens to children from this.   
     Hutchins on the other hand didn't start out so great. I am very intimidated by this teacher because he is very knowledgeable and I feel stupid around him. This fear was only compounded by the fact that I misheard him during class, he said "foodstamps" and I heard "footstep" which I was heavily embarrassed about. He has a bit of a accent (kinda french like), but it's really not that bad. Also another thing you should know about me is I don't do change well, and when I am uncomfortable because of it I get agitated. Which means of course I argue with th teacher about his book policy, which is that you must have a book in class no sharing or reading in the library and then not having the book in class. I already have ordered most of my books, but I argued that the no sharing policy was wrong because it hurt people who were low on money and seemed unfair to grade them down even if they had done the homework and participated in class. These are only a handful of the stupid things I did in that class. I have tried to make really good prep notes in return and will try to start over tomorrow, but who knows. 


Anyway I'm tired down, and although I would love to write about the book Brave New World, I need to go to bed. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry about this month. Your Hutchins teacher is being really unfair towards you. I definitely agree with what you said. Seriously, though, the more I hear about your program the more I think that it's entirely screwed up. I mean, teachers who deride you for not having a book you can't afford, chastising you for not having a book or arriving late -- don't they get that not everyone is super rich, especially people trying to become teachers?? So messed up.

    Anyway, I hope things start to look up for you, you really deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachelle it means a lot that you posted and are sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete